Over the past month we’ve been working (mostly mentally and emotionally, with a touch of physically) on getting a new garage. The lovely little green garage that came with the house was quaint and picturesque but it was also rotten, treacherous, and didn’t allow K. to stand upright or fully open our car doors. I have several rips in the back of my winter coat from snagging it on nails as I bent through a half-opened door to drag a sleeping child out of a rapidly cooling car. The garage had to go.
Before (I was pruning. That’s why I’m in the tree):
I took care of the demolition. It was slow and methodical. While the kids slept or played at a safe distance, I carefully dismantled plywood sheathing and bone-dry planks and sodden mouldy roofing. I piled all the debris nail-side down. I cleaned up the one window pane that shattered.
Last view of old garage:
Next steps: excavation, gravel, building forms, pouring concrete:
From this point on it’s brother-in-law MC on the job. Framing walls:
Attaching tin siding:
Side walls up:
Raising the front wall:
Looking like a garage! This is the work to date. Glorious, complete “after” shot coming soon.